Aviation Quips and Quotes
- Takeoff's are optional. Landings are mandatory.
- If God meant man to fly, He'd have given him more money.
- If you push the stick forward, the houses get bigger, if you
pull the stick back they get smaller. (Unless you keep pulling
the stick back -then they get bigger again)
- Flying is not dangerous; crashing is dangerous.
- It's better to be down here wishing you were up there, than up
there wishing you were down here.
- The propeller is just a big fan in the front of the plane to keep
the pilot cool. Want proof? Make it stop; then watch the pilot
break out into a sweat.
- Speed is life, altitude is life insurance. No one has ever collided
with the sky.
- It's best to keep the pointed end going forward as much as possible.
- The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
- Flying is the second greatest thrill known to man.... Landing is
- Every one already knows the definition of a 'good' landing is one from
which you can walk away. But very few know the definition of a 'great
landing.' It's one after which you can use the airplane another time.
- The probability of survival is equal to the angle of arrival.
- Always remember you fly an airplane with your head, not your hands.
Never let an airplane take you somewhere your brain didn't get to
five minutes earlier.
- You know you've landed with the wheels up when it takes full power
- Those who hoot with the owls by night, should not fly with the
eagles by day.
- A helicopter is a collection of rotating parts going round and round
and reciprocating parts going up and down - all of them trying to
become random in motion. Helicopters can't really fly - they're
just so ugly that the earth immediately repels them.
- Young man, was that a landing or were we shot down?
- Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to
make all of them yourself.
- Trust your captain .... but keep your seat belt securely fastened.
- Any pilot who relies on a terminal forecast can be sold the Brooklyn
Bridge. If he relies on winds-aloft reports he can be sold Niagara
- Good judgment comes from experience and experience comes from bad
- Aviation is not so much a profession as it is a disease.
- There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing: Unfortunately,
no one knows what they are.
- The only thing worse than a captain who never flew as copilot is a
copilot who once was a captain.
- Be nice to your first officer, he may be your captain at your
- Any attempt to stretch fuel is guaranteed to increase headwind.
- A thunderstorm is never as bad on the inside as it appears on the
outside. It's worse.
- Son, I was flying airplanes for a living when you were still in
It's easy to make a small fortune in aviation. You start with a
- A male pilot is a confused soul who talks about women when he's
flying, and about flying when he's with a woman.
- A fool and his money are soon flying more airplane than he can handle.
- Remember, you're always a student in an airplane.
- Keep looking around; there's always something you've missed.
- Try to keep the number of your landings equal to the number of your
- You cannot propel yourself forward by patting yourself on the back.
- There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are no
old, bold, pilots!
- Things which do you no good in aviation: Altitude above you. Runway
behind you. Fuel in the truck. Half a second ago. Approach plates
in the car. The airspeed you don't have.
- Flying is the perfect vocation for a man who wants to feel like a boy,
but not for one who still is.
- Asking what a pilot thinks about the FAA is like asking a fireplug
what it thinks about dogs.
- Being an airline pilot would be great if you didn't have to go on all
- Gravity never loses! The best you can hope for is a draw!